Monday, 17 August 2026

Bicycle ride via Llanfiangel Nant Melan following CJ Pope


This is the third of my recreations of rides from the cycling diaries of Charles J Pope (published by Shaun Sewell in 2018). They seem to be becoming a yearly ritual. CJP (and his brother EBP - Edward)  liked to head off to the west of England and Wales from his home in Hammersmith every summer, which is handy from my point of view.





























This year I chose to follow his route for 17th August 1926, as usual 100 years to the day later. First I had to ride up to the Bull in Ludlow, from where he set off. Thankfully that is still in operation, unlike his usual accommodation Blythwood House which has disappeared without trace. To recreate the eating of a hot breakfast, which I assume he would have done, I got a sausage roll (vg) from Greggs. The vg stands for 'vegan', rather than 'very good'.

At some point in the eating of the sausage roll I left my wallet on the pavement. I didn't notice its absence until a few hours later but it was thankfully found by a good samaritan who rang up later and I will be going to collect it this evening.


After that I was keen to make for the road through Lingen to see if there was any trace of the Henry VIII lookalikes mentioned by CJP. Unfortunately the road was lacking in pedestrians. I did catch a glimpse of a couple of young men over a wall but they didn't strike me as looking particularly regal. I did however pass a lady walking 4 corgi-ish dogs but apart from that she didn't look like the late queen. And CJP wouldn't have known about that particular queen anyway in 1926.

Me, at New Radnor. I meant to include my glasses mirror but seem to have chopped it off

I had printed off three notes with a copy of the page of the diary to put through the doors of the three former pubs that he mentions. I delivered the one to the Swan in Leintwardine alright but had to give up looking for the Cricketers' Arms in Broad Heath. A local old chap said had a vague idea which one it was but I couldn't see any likely candidates in the direction he was pointing, so decided to carry on westwards.

My Pashley Guvnor with Beeline Velo2 satnav. I did consider using a proper map but I get lost more often when I do. It would be nice to do a proper low-tech ride again one day. I think CJP had a speedometer/odometer on his bicycle but I probably do not need to go to the effort of fitting one of those. 









After a bit of a tour around New Radnor where I stopped to finally have my flask of tea and sandwich etc. I started the long climb, into a headwind, up to Llanfiangel Nant Melan. The Red Lion there is now a B&B and I slipped a note through their door too before heading home via Pembridge where I stopped to have a drink in the New Inn.. but instead noticed that my wallet was missing and had to hurry home to 'freeze' my bank card. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Bicycle ride via Llanfiangel Nant Melan following CJ Pope

This is the third of my recreations of rides from the cycling diaries of Charles J Pope  (published by Shaun Sewell in 2018). They seem to b...